The Psychology of Diabetes
As part of the First Annual Diapoint Type 1 Diabetes Virtual Family Picnic, we welcomed Dr Madiha Khan for this wonderful discussion on the psychology of a chronic condition.
Dr Khan is a psychiatrist with extensive experience in helping children and families address the psychological impact of chronic diseases.
She is an American Board Certified Psychiatrist who specializes in general adult psychiatry. She completed her medical training from Baylor College of medicine in the United States. After residency, Dr. Khan continued to work with Baylor College of medicine as an assistant professor of Psychiatry, while practicing outpatient psychiatry at a county clinic and also maintained a private practice in the US, before relocating to UAE.
Of course, our discussion focussed on Type 1 Diabetes.
Topics in this Discussion on The Psychology of a Chronic Illness
In this session, we discuss:
- Mental health issues associated with chronic illnesses
- Signs of depression and anxiety to watch out for in children
- For parents and caretakers: grief, stress and diabetes burn out
- Accepting and dealing with the emotional process that comes with a diabetes diagnosis, including the different ways that parents and children might react
- How diabetes affects family relationships
- What to do when others do not really understand diabetes and ask questions
- The public stigma of diabetes
- When is a good time to seek professional support
Listen to Pam Durant talk to Dr Madiha Khan about The Psychology of a Chronic Condition
Watch Pam Durant talk to Dr Madiha Khan on YouTube
More Replays from the First Annual Diapoint Type 1 Diabetes Family Picnic 2020
Find audio and video replays of our Type 1 Diabetes Virtual Family Picnic here.
More From Our Diabetes Experts
We are proud to bring you diabetes and wellness information from our panel of experts. Check out our Ask The Expert blog series here.
Diabetes Products and Accessories
Head to the D-Shop to find items to support your diabetes lifestyle and wellbeing.
Join the DiapointME mailing list
Sign up below to become part of the DiapointME online community.